Monday, December 22, 2008

give me 2.55!

... or not. the credit crunch has claimed its latest victim: Chanel's Mobile Art tour. The brainchild of Karl Lagerfeld, this was a touring exhibition of artworks inspired by the design house's iconic 2.55 bag, with Daniel Buren, Sylvie Fleury, Yoko Ono and Wim Delvoye all contributing.
The exhibition, which is housed in a space-age-inspired structure designed by architectural darling Zaha Hadid, made it to Hong Kong, Tokyo and New York, but the tour has faltered before reaching London.
A spokeswoman for Chanel has stated to WWD "Considering the current economic crisis, we decided it was best to stop the project. We will [instead] be concentrating on strategic growth investments."
Despite this setback, Lagerfeld remains unfazed: "Today, everyone can say that something is for financial reasons when they want. For me, artistic reasons are more important. I always thought the building was a sculpture. I prefer it empty."
Luckily for the designer it looks like every bag does have a silver lining. Having said this, the whole financial crisis is getting very boring; does it really have to ruin all our fun? Not impressed.

2 comments:

Fashion_Loving_Stylist said...

I'm sad about this. I would have loved to have seen it. Maybe when things turn around they will bring it back. In the meantime I hope to own a 2.55 by 2010

gusinboots said...

So would I, but I'm wondering if it's reasonable to make these sorts of purchasing commitments when I don't have a steady source of income.

Nobody answer that.