Wednesday, December 3, 2008

i *heart* sequins


I really do. They’re just fabulous. After my brief stint in London I now own three sequin skirts: one silver, one black and gold, and one black and pink (Primark, I’m going to miss you when I’m in Sydney, bless your child-labour-exploiting heart).

The best thing about sequins is that you can dress them up or down. And no, I’m not being facetious, it’s totally true. In fact I truly believe that it’s when you dress down a sequinned piece that it really comes into its own. I like working a sequin skirt back with my grey and pink Queen tee from urban outfitters, ripped stockings, boots, and a trilby hat. Perfection – mind you, I did get a few looks when I went to the clachan for Sunday roast.

The other fab thing about sequins is that they’re very diy-friendly, something we’ll be seeing a lot of come s/s 2009 (at least something good will come out of the cadbury’s crunchie). Just grab a few sequins, in whatever colour you want, stitch them on in a pleasing pattern and – voilà! Insta-chic. And if you’re completely lazy, you can even glue them if you want (although it must be said, sewing them on has the added benefit of easy removal when a/w 2009-2010 arrives).

So this season, irrespective of hemisphere, try some sequins on your tee, your leggings, your bag – or grab some eyelash glue and use them to give an extra kick to your make-up. If nothing else, they will add a little sparkle to you life – and there’s nothing wrong with that.

No comments: